Fred Penner - The Cat Came Back
- Activity types: gap fill, telling a story, writing.
- Grammar: Past Simple – regular and irregular.
- Level: Elementary / Pre-Intermediate
- Note: This is a popular children’s song written by Harry S. Miller in 1893. It tells the story of a man who cannot get rid of his cat despite many often disturbing attempts. Fred Penner, a children’s entertainer (and author of the book “The Cat Came Back”), recorded a five-verse version with four of the milder episodes. This version was used in a 2010 Italian advertising campaign for the Audi A3.
- An award-winning Canadian short animation feature based on the song was made by Cordel Barker in 1988 (watch it below).
Worksheet written by Prof. Silvana Fazio, Sondrio and Prof. Margaret Mower, Prato
Embedding disabled? Double click on the video.
Video removed? Please let us know!